Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Don't Steal My Blessing!

For years now, when someone is in need my husband and I gladly do whatever we can to help the person.  We have always felt that we are commanded in the Word to be a blessing to those around us.  On occasion, a person would say that they couldn’t ask for help and we would tell them that it was our joy to help them or we would tell them to not steal our blessing.  “Steal our blessing”?!  Yes, that is exactly what I said.  We are firm believers that we are blessed to be a blessing.  Do we do good just so we can be blessed?!  Absolutely not.  However, we have discovered that often times, when we are trying to bless others, we are the ones that end up being blessed.  Haven’t you heard the stories where people go on mission trips to bless others and come back saying that they were blessed far more than what they feel they blessed others?!  Often it is so very hard to accept the help or even ask for help because of this little (ok, BIG) thing called pride.  I mean, who really wants to admit they need help or have a lack in their lives?!  Well, recently I was reminded of this in a major way.  Dale’s company was forced to change insurance companies at the start of 2011.  As we got into January, it was very apparent that this transition was not easy and not going to go as smooth as it should.  Two weeks into January we had no insurance cards, no numbers, nothing; Felicity had appointments and needed medications and without insurance we were going to have to pay cash for it all (some of her meds were quite costly).  So, naturally we did what we knew to do, we went to our church family and asked for prayer that the cards would come quickly.  A couple of days later I got a call from a dear friend at church, she said that she and her husband would like to help us by paying for the meds that Felicity needed.  Pride jumped in and spoke and said that it was ok, we should get our ID numbers soon and it would all be good.  God, obviously, knew I was allowing pride to speak and He continued to press on this couple’s hearts to help us.  So, a few days later I got a Facebook message asking how much Felicity’s meds were.  Again, pride spoke up and I told her that we should have the ID numbers in a day or two and if we didn’t have it by Friday I would let her know.  I then went on about my day and suddenly I was convicted.  God brought to mind how I would always tell people “Don’t steal my blessing” when I tried to help someone and they allowed pride to speak for them.  After the “ouch” of conviction left me I immediately wrote this friend and told her I would call the pharmacy and find out how much the meds were.  Several minutes later I sent her a message with what meds Felicity absolutely needed with their cost and then one that was a possible need.  Literally 5 minutes after I sent her that message, Dale text me with our new ID numbers.  I had to laugh and almost cry.  I began to wonder if I had allowed pride to block us receiving the ID numbers we so desperately needed.  Then I had to stop and ask for forgiveness for allowing pride to speak on my behalf and for not allowing a family that was so dear to us to bless us.  I had allowed pride to almost steal their blessing and in turn steal mine.  WOW! 

How often do we allow pride to step in and speak on our behalf?!  I know that I do it far more than I realize.  In fact, I almost did it again this week when I needed help; fortunately, I was reminded of the blessings that come to not only the blessing giver, but to the blessing receiver and so I swallowed my pride and asked for help.  Here is the bottom line, there are so many people out there so willing to help if we will just shut pride up and speak from our heart!  I know that I am having to learn to not allow pride speak for me, but rather allow my heart to speak so that others can be blessed and in turn I can too.  Is that selfish?!  Not at all; what is selfish is allowing pride to speak and in turn robbing someone of the opportunity to be a blessing and then in turn robbing God of getting a blessing to you!  See, I focused on what I thought the solution was...getting the insurance numbers…reality was, the solution was allowing God to get a blessing in my hands through allowing another family to be a blessing! 

So, to the family who I almost robbed…I am sorry and I know that we are so very blessed to have you in our lives!  To the rest of you…Don’t allow pride to speak on your behalf…it is a blessing robber!

2 comments: